A Busy week

  A Busy week Hindu Katowa, It has been a very busy and tough week with sleepless nights.We are running out of time.So we are supposed to work as much as we can so we can finish our final prototypes and prepare ourselves for the next week’s final projects presentations.So our team is working on the Automatic Chest Compressor.   But before we made a final prototype we made two prototypes which were piston and gear based chest compressors.And the processes were as follow: We started on making piston based prototype in which we 3D printed the piston and circulating rods Then we cut all remaining parts on a laser cutter. After that we assembled the parts and completed our first…

Small and Amazing

                               SMALL AND FINAL PROJECT The last week was special for completing our small project and start dealing with final project after the visitation we made at Muhimbili National Hospital(MNH) and Comprehensive Community Based Rehabilitation of Tanzania (CCBRT Hospital). Where we conducted research and investigated different problems and challenges facing the Hospitals. As we observed different problems our task was to work on them and find solution based on either doing maintenance where needed and invading new appropriate technology.                                              SMALL PROJECT From the starting day of our IPT sessions in DIT design studio, I acquired variety of knowledge in different parts like knowledge in Laser Cutting, 3D Printing, Arduino, Research knowledge and other Technological knowledge. Under Supervision and Training from…

Central Line Ultrasound Training Modul

Central Line Ultrasound Training Module – T. N. Shetui   After working with the gelatin based central line training model and seeing all the drawbacks that  came along with the model, it was high time to research on other materials that could replace the  gelatin mixture. The replacement would resolve either all or most of the gelatin based model’s drawbacks.   Materials that the researchers considered to   explore more on their  potential to replace the gelatin  mixture were tangit PVC  adhesive, pure white silicone  sealant, acrylic silicone  sealant (AS-606), Kenfix glass  windows’ sealant (KA-105),  dry grout powder, gypsum  powder and two way plastic.  All these materials were used in different mixing ratios to produce ten  different swatches / samples that  were…

Work, work and more work

Work, work and more work – Thomas N. Shetui   At the end of last week, most final projects on needs findings were assigned to  particular individuals. Each individual was required to start working on them and extend further from  where the project halted. The task of collecting more information about the project was to broaden the options, enabling comprehensive approaches  towards the solution to be an easy peasy process.   With my fellow Industrial Practical Training member Greg Luhambati, we were chosen to work on a central line  ultrasound training module. At first it  required us to explore more on the currently used method to  train health practitioner’s  to perform a central lineprocedure prior to doing it to human subjects.   Figure 1:…

The beginning of the end

The beginning of the end – Thomas N. Shetui   After an intensive needs finding session at both Muhimbili National Hospital and CCBRT Tanzania,   a significant amount of final projects emerged. Final projects such as bubble CPAP, wall suction system,  UVGI, central line ultrasound training module, automatic CPR system and length board came from  mostly two wards of Muhimbili National Hospital’s Pediatric Department while other small projects  such as POP cutter blades were obtained from CCBRT Hospital particularly  the Prosthetics and Orthotics  Department.   All the findings collected from both case study sites  were gathered and compiled into titled projects as mentioned above. Though most final projects that needed extra attention were from Muhimbili National Hospital, there were some crucial insights…