A Busy week

  A Busy week Hindu Katowa, It has been a very busy and tough week with sleepless nights.We are running out of time.So we are supposed to work as much as we can so we can finish our final prototypes and prepare ourselves for the next week’s final projects presentations.So our team is working on the Automatic Chest Compressor.   But before we made a final prototype we made two prototypes which were piston and gear based chest compressors.And the processes were as follow: We started on making piston based prototype in which we 3D printed the piston and circulating rods Then we cut all remaining parts on a laser cutter. After that we assembled the parts and completed our first…

The struggle was real

The struggle was real  Kanyempwe, Juma B. Introduction With a lot of design work to do most of the projects were behind schedule so we never had a chance to write a blog post. We were trying to make the final project on time so we divided the tasks to finish on time. Mary and Joseph were designing and coding the circuit for the wall suction system while I had to go to kariakoo market  looking for the components we need for the project. We had two design concepts which were very promising for our project; mechanical system and sensor system.   Mechanical System is the system we design using a valve to block the negative pressure from the hospital…

Crushing Quest

Crushing Quest – Kanyempwe Juma B. Introduction In this week’s quest at the DIT Design Studio we had a final project prototype to complete. It was a great week for my team, we finished our first prototype ahead of time. So we had enough time to work on the problem statement and define the main objective of the project. From our last visit to Muhimbili National Hospital in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), we went back to the DIT Design Studio and downloaded our findings then defined the problem statement. Below are the objectives. For this prototype we came up with the best solutions possible: to protect the source of negative pressure at Muhimbili National Hospital and create an…

Testing and Implementation (Last Battle)

Testing and Implementation (Last Battle)  – Thomas N. Shetui.   Finally after all the learning and designing done in the course of eight (8) weeks in the DIT Design  Studio, we came up with products that are expected to solve different problems that were found  through needs findings sessions. Intensive primary and secondary research increased the depth of information and understanding. On my side, with my fellow engineering student Greg Luhambati, we came up with the Kenfix (KA-105) silicone sealant based subclavian access central line ultrasound training model seen in Fig. 1.   Figure 1: KA-105 sealant based model Using the readily available plastic human torso,  we filled it with the proposed material i.e. KA-105 sealant, after molding important vascular  structures which…

Needsfinding and Research: Key components of the design process

FINAL PROJECT Hindu Katowa There is no distance with no end. We are almost done with the internship. We are in 6th week of the internship. Right now we are working on our final projects, in which we are trying to solve challenges in which CCBRT and MUHIMBILI NATIONAL HOSPITAL face.  In our group we are trying to look at how to solve or how to help a person with cardiac arrest with an automatic device and not manually which is the current method used in Tanzania.    This method is not effectively done because cardiac rescue faces fatigue when performing the chest compression so it’s hard for them to perform 100-120 compressions/min.    So the doctors suggested using the automated chest…

FINAL PROJECT PRESENTATION

FINAL PROJECT PRESENTATION By: Arslan Dogar The activities of last week were mainly to complete the final project. We had been assigned to complete the bubble CPAP machine before Wednesday. The time was limited and the work that had to be completed before the deadline was huge. So it was evident that we had to work a lot in order to complete. We had to work day and night, and sometimes leaving the design studio at 1:00 Am. but the hard-work and dedication didn’t go in vein, as the target of completing the project before the deadline had been attained to a large extent.  Working on Final Project We left for Muhumbili National Hospital on morning of Wednesday so as…

Atlast it works. The final prototype and presentation

Every beginning must have an end…….and this week signified the end to all the work we have been conducting throughout our internship/IPT period, most especially the individual group projects.  As explained in the previous week, we were assigned to design a bubble CPAP machine prototype.  Thus this week was all about implementation and modification of the prototype and also documentation of how the design was implemented. Implementation….. This part involved the following activities: Primary and secondary research Searching for equipment Bill of materials Purchasing equipment Building and testing of our circuit Fabrication of housing Fitting air and electrical circuit into housing Afterwards, followed the testing and implementation part, whereas we were able to test the prototype to see if it…