The struggle was real

The struggle was real  Kanyempwe, Juma B. Introduction With a lot of design work to do most of the projects were behind schedule so we never had a chance to write a blog post. We were trying to make the final project on time so we divided the tasks to finish on time. Mary and Joseph were designing and coding the circuit for the wall suction system while I had to go to kariakoo market  looking for the components we need for the project. We had two design concepts which were very promising for our project; mechanical system and sensor system.   Mechanical System is the system we design using a valve to block the negative pressure from the hospital…

FINAL PRESENTATION AND DINE

   FINAL PRESENTATION It was the last week of our ipt period  we were preparing  for the final presentation of our final prototypes . also we were finalizing our final prototypes ready for presentation. At that day madam Julia organized camera men so they can come and shoot a video of us doing our final presentation. It was a very stressing day because at my side am not very confident to present infront of a camera. So the presentation started and it went great thanks to madam Julia then after that we were continuing to finalize our side projects while our fellow students were presenting . final preparation Then after the presentation was over , we started cleaning up the studio…

At last. MUHIMBILI PRESENTATION

                                                 MUHIMBILI PRESENTATION    On this week we went to present our first prototypes  at Muhimbili National hospital. We met the pediatric doctor  and she gave us her feedback about the prototype  she said that we should consider more on the strength of the material that we will use .also she talked about the bottom stand that  should make the sliding head piece easier to slide when its lied down because the length board we will make will be for both horizontal and vertical position. Also we went to visit the malnutrition department and they also gave us some feedback on how they think the length board should  be improved , their biggest concern was the material that should be used because…

Crushing Quest

Crushing Quest – Kanyempwe Juma B. Introduction In this week’s quest at the DIT Design Studio we had a final project prototype to complete. It was a great week for my team, we finished our first prototype ahead of time. So we had enough time to work on the problem statement and define the main objective of the project. From our last visit to Muhimbili National Hospital in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), we went back to the DIT Design Studio and downloaded our findings then defined the problem statement. Below are the objectives. For this prototype we came up with the best solutions possible: to protect the source of negative pressure at Muhimbili National Hospital and create an…

Testing and Implementation (Last Battle)

Testing and Implementation (Last Battle)  – Thomas N. Shetui.   Finally after all the learning and designing done in the course of eight (8) weeks in the DIT Design  Studio, we came up with products that are expected to solve different problems that were found  through needs findings sessions. Intensive primary and secondary research increased the depth of information and understanding. On my side, with my fellow engineering student Greg Luhambati, we came up with the Kenfix (KA-105) silicone sealant based subclavian access central line ultrasound training model seen in Fig. 1.   Figure 1: KA-105 sealant based model Using the readily available plastic human torso,  we filled it with the proposed material i.e. KA-105 sealant, after molding important vascular  structures which…

Needsfinding and Research: Key components of the design process

FINAL PROJECT Hindu Katowa There is no distance with no end. We are almost done with the internship. We are in 6th week of the internship. Right now we are working on our final projects, in which we are trying to solve challenges in which CCBRT and MUHIMBILI NATIONAL HOSPITAL face.  In our group we are trying to look at how to solve or how to help a person with cardiac arrest with an automatic device and not manually which is the current method used in Tanzania.    This method is not effectively done because cardiac rescue faces fatigue when performing the chest compression so it’s hard for them to perform 100-120 compressions/min.    So the doctors suggested using the automated chest…

Finally the end is here. FINAL PROJECTS

                                                FINAL PROJECTS On this week we were assigned our final projects that were based on the problems we observed through our hospital visitation at Muhimbili National Hospital and CCBRT , our team was assigned to design a length board. A length board is an instrument that is used to measure the height of kids in hospitals so as to monitor their health progress. The existing length boards we observed at muhimbili national hospital had some problems that the users were facing . the existing length boards are completely made of wood so if they get in contact with water for a long time they will rot, also the head piece is very loose that sometime when the babies are measured…

FINAL PROJECT PRESENTATION

FINAL PROJECT PRESENTATION By: Arslan Dogar The activities of last week were mainly to complete the final project. We had been assigned to complete the bubble CPAP machine before Wednesday. The time was limited and the work that had to be completed before the deadline was huge. So it was evident that we had to work a lot in order to complete. We had to work day and night, and sometimes leaving the design studio at 1:00 Am. but the hard-work and dedication didn’t go in vein, as the target of completing the project before the deadline had been attained to a large extent.  Working on Final Project We left for Muhumbili National Hospital on morning of Wednesday so as…