COMPLETING INFRARED THERMOMETER PROJECT

COMPLETING INFRARED THERMOMETER PROJECT

By: Arslan Dogar

Infrared thermometer was the most challenging project assigned during the Industrial Practical Training period, it required us to code the Arduino program, testing the code by building actual circuit, soldering the circuit and diagnosis, 3d printing the housing design and finally fitting the circuit into the housing and testing.

Initial Testing of the Circuit

Some of these procedures proved to be very challenging and caused a lot of delay to the completion of the project, extending the time span to approximately 3 weeks. The main challenge that we faced during the project was the soldering and diagnosis of the soldered circuit, initially the delay had been caused by female headers not being available. This contributed to a delay of about three days, since we could not commence the soldering without these components. Basically the Arduino is not soldered directly on to the board, instead the female headers are soldered and the Arduino in fitted onto them. Furthermore the female headers are used to avoid soldering the wires on to the sensor and OLED display pins directly so that they might easily be removed to be used in other activities.

The soldering process was initiated once the female headers were acquired, initially the soldering task did not seem very challenging. It took us about a day to complete the soldering of the circuit and its components. The preceding step was to test the circuit. The results were very disappointing as the OLED display gave very strange readings. We then counter-checked our programming code and found out no problem with it. By using a multimeter all the connections were checked by its continuity function. The circuit did not show any discontinuity during the entire process of diagnosis, this further discouraged us to continue with the project. We then decided to check for any lose connections in the circuit and soldering them rigidly. No lose connections were found but we soldered all the connections that were not lose in actual, but seemed to be slightly. On testing the circuit, the results were again disappointing. Most of the group members had given up during this stage of the project. I was only one left who didn’t give up on the project and continued to carry out the diagnosis of the circuit.

As we had been hinted earlier by madam Julia that poor soldering leads to problems in the circuit and leads to abnormalities to the functionality of the circuit, so I decided to smoothen all the soldered connections by slightly heating them with soldering gun. On the morning of 21st October I had completed this activity and on testing the circuit the results were surprising as it had eventually given the actual readings, this filled my heart with a lot of joy and satisfaction. I finally fitted the circuit into the housing and the project had finally come to an end.

Completed Project

 

The hard-work and dedication with which we had carried out this project didn’t go in vain, Proper functionality, ergonomics and good appearance had earned this project a place to be presented along with final projects on final presentation day. The lesson that I had learnt from carrying out  this project was to never ever give up. We were very close to completing the project when my group members had given up. If I had also given up at that point the project could not have being completed and could not seem to be even close to being complete. 

Never Give Up

Prev Next

Leave a Reply