At the end of last week most of the final projects and small projects were assigned to the intended student. And each one of us was required to start working on them immediately. By digging a little deeper and collect more information about the project (diverging) and then choosing from the list of information the most common ones (converging) to get close towards the solution. My partner and I were selected to do a bubble CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine.
A bubble CPAP machine is a machine used to help a person with respiratory distress syndrome (RDS). It increases air pressure in your throat so that your airway doesn’t collapse when you breathe in. In this context we started collecting information about the bubble CPAP machine, so we performed a secondary research which led to the rise of some critical questions. Thus requested for another appointment specifically for the bubble CPAP questions and see if they have CPAP machine, and what needs to be modified from the current ones.
After our second visit at Muhimbili national hospital, we came up with the following findings:
- Most of the CPAP machines are expensive
- Lack of maintenance of the available CPAP machines
- CPAP machine present are not portable, that is they are very large.
We were able to test and see the working of the present bubble CPAP machines. The doctors recommended that if we are to design another bubble CPAP machine it should be simple and easy to use, we should some research on the recommended ones and try to create one with the present local materials present here in our country. They told us about the current machine present what pressure they work on and the amount of oxygen flow rate that is needed. And we observed that the CPAP machine present use the help of humidifier. The air + oxygen they give to the baby is the humidified one.
Thus, from the above findings we were able to build up the primary objectives of our CPAP machines by combating the present challenges. We focused on the actual building and implementation of the Bubble CPAP machine by following all necessary steps needed.
Firstly, we started out by stating the main inspiration that led to the idea of this project. From this we were able to document the:
- Trigger, that is our main motivation
- Current technology
- Intended users + insights
- And lastly, Problem statement
After successfully completing the above step which resulted into statement of the problem, we started building out our main objectives, which involved
- Cost effectiveness of the product
- Ease of use
- Durability and etc……
From there, we started brainstorming the final design concept, and obtained the results below
The outcome of the brainstorming activity was a simple block of the bubble CPAP machine which we came up with.
That is all about this week,