SELCOM NEEDS FINDING
Fuad Abdallah, August 29, 2021.
Vinayak (a poet) once said, “Every land is fertile, with only the need of finding suitable seeds.” This week was all about finding needs. Madam Julia arranged an interview for us with Selcom staff who deal with a food delivery service called duka.direct. We started interacting with them by asking them different questions. At the end of our interview we realized that their main problem is spillage of drinks when transporting them from one place to another, so they asked us to help them solve this problem.
Spilled drink from Selcom (duka.direct)
We started with primary research then we began diverging by diving deep into the problem. More factors that can affect the spillage of drinks when they are transported from one place to another were identified. The next day we continued diving deep into the problem through secondary research. Secondary research helped us obtain a lot of insights concerned with the problem.
Themes and insights we obtained from primary and secondary research
On the next day we started narrowing down the problem by combining the insights and obtaining different themes from those insights. The themes we obtained were resources, needs, business and awareness.
Proceeding with the design process, we started obtaining “how can we” questions from the insights we gathered from the research we did earlier. Then we narrowed down our idea by brainstorming different solutions to solve the problem. This brainstorming was very interesting because everyone came up with different wild ideas to solve the problem and that’s the point of brainstorming, there is no bad idea as long as it is concerned with the problem. The following day we started to group our ideas and classify them into different groups.
We then started making prototypes from the ideas that we had brainstormed and we classified them as vest, holder and sensor. We managed to create three prototypes which presented proof of concept.
On the next day we tried different methods to help us determine the best prototype to proceed with up to the final stage of designing. We used a method that consists of using a Pugh chart. At the end of the day we concluded that the holder prototype was the best that we could proceed with to the design process.