MAKING THE MOST OF IT

Sandra (LEFT) and DIT Design Studio Admin Assistant Aziza (LEFT) My name is Sandra Sommi, I am a third year student studying a Bachelor of Computer Engineering at the Dar es salaam Institute of Technology. My team and I were assigned the task of designing an automatic unmanned robotic system by our instructor, Dr. Simbeye as part of our course - Robotics and Intelligent Systems.  The primary motive behind this project is to design and fabricate an automatic robotic system that will operate automatically without any human intervention. The original idea was to implement an automatic robotic arm that will perform pick and place functionality. But later as a group we came up with the idea that the robotic system...

Coding and challenges

“It takes two flints to make a fire”, this saying defines the mood of this week. It all started with the Arduino basics, which to somewhere new concepts. We were given a brief introduction to Arduino (Arduino Uno to be specific), its pins (analog and digital pins), how it works, the power pins and the power that Arduino accepts. We also learnt about  how it can communicate with the computer. We were given a brief on how to write codes in Arduino in order for it to communicate with the computer. “Comments, comments. I need to see some comments” this is what our Supervisor (design studio manager) encourages us to do when writing the codes. She says comments are important…

Getting familiar. Time to learn new things

GETTING FAMILIAR… This week was a little bit challenging because most of us were not familiar with the learning environment. Most of us came with our own expectations but upon arrival, it was so cool and fascinating at the same time, to meet new people with almost similar and different expectations from me. Getting to know new people and their ideas is the most amazing thing about this first week. Upon arrival we were told that it was possible to turn our ideas into reality, this motivated me into wanting to learn more. In the process we started working with the CAD program (Fusion 360), laser cutting machine and 3D printer. When we were introduced it was a bit of…

Deep diving. On needs findings from different hospital.

Deep diving … Just like Margaret Heffernan (entrepreneur and writer) once quoted “for good ideas and true innovation, you need human interaction, conflict, argument and debate”. This week was all about the needs findings for which we paid a visit to two hospitals i.e. Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH) and Comprehensive Community Based Rehabilitation in Tanzania (CCBRT). It was really an interesting week, getting to see what the doctors do and the things they need. Muhimbili needs finding We paid a visit to MNH and went to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)  with the doctors who explained what they are doing and the challenges that they are facing. There were various triggers that we noted from the Muhimbili visit, and…

Getting started. Data analysis from the needs finding

Getting started… This week involved analysis from the needs findings that we conducted last week. We listed all our needs findings from the hospital visits at Muhimbili national hospital (MNH) and Comprehensive Community Based Rehabilitation in Tanzania (CCBRT). These findings made the rise of final projects such as bubble CPAP, wall suction machine, automatic chest compressor and length board. There were also small projects such as POP cutter, power supply for the CCBRT hospital. We were given a chance to choose our partners and the project of our choice to work on from the list of our needs findings. And submitted our choices to the design studio manager.                                        A 3d printer we found at CCBRT hospital when we went…

Atlast it works. The final prototype and presentation

Every beginning must have an end…….and this week signified the end to all the work we have been conducting throughout our internship/IPT period, most especially the individual group projects.  As explained in the previous week, we were assigned to design a bubble CPAP machine prototype.  Thus this week was all about implementation and modification of the prototype and also documentation of how the design was implemented. Implementation….. This part involved the following activities: Primary and secondary research Searching for equipment Bill of materials Purchasing equipment Building and testing of our circuit Fabrication of housing Fitting air and electrical circuit into housing Afterwards, followed the testing and implementation part, whereas we were able to test the prototype to see if it…

Digging deeper…

Digging deeper… At the end of last week most of the final projects and small projects were assigned to the intended student. And each one of us was required to start working on them immediately. By digging a little deeper and collect more information about the project (diverging) and then choosing from the list of information the most common ones (converging) to get close towards the solution. My partner and I were selected to do a bubble CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine.   A bubble CPAP machine is a machine used to help a person with respiratory distress syndrome (RDS). It increases air pressure in your throat so that your airway doesn’t collapse when you breathe in. In this context we…